jueves, 26 de diciembre de 2013

Mastering Web Application Development with AngularJS - Book Review

I just finished reading Mastering Web Application Development with AngularJS and I gotta say...I have some mixed feelings -:P


First things first...this book is huge...372 pages...and it covers a lot of things...but...there's always a downside...

The book talks about building an SCRUM application...and it provides a lot of snippets that are related to that application...however...even when you download the book's source code...the application is nowhere to be found...meaning that either you figure out yourself...or just end with a bunch of nice but not very useful snippets...

To be fair...this can be seen as either good or bad...good because it forces you to try it yourself and in the end...learn more...but also bad because without proper experience...there's no way you can build it and that leads to frustration...

Anyway...there are some nice and complete examples that really make you keep going...also...the book covers many interesting aspects like...

  • Model transformations with filters
  • Advanced forms creation
  • Forms validation
  • Navigation
  • Application Security
  • Internationalization
  • Custom build directives

It would say...if you really have AngularJS experience...then this book is for you...as it has some really nice tricks...otherwise...grab a more basic book...build applications...gain experience...and then read this one...otherwise...you will get lost more than once...

Let's take a look at some pictures...





What I like this book however is the fact that it introduces us to many "external" JavaScript libraries...without actually introducing us to them...which is funny...

  • Twitter's Bootstrap
  • Grunt.JS
  • Jasmine
  • Express
  • Passport
  • Restler
At least...by knowing about them...we can explore them and make use of them -;)

This said...I'm glad I read it...but...if I ever put myself on the situation where I actually need to build an AngularJS application...I would read it again...hopefully next time...I would be able to get more out of it...

Greetings,

Blag.
Developer Empowerment and Culture.

No hay comentarios: